FAQ Search: Go

What can a member say to a claimant who presents a new claim by phone or in person?

Each claimant should be told that if he/she intends to make a claim, this must be done by providing written notice to the local government within two months of suffering the loss.  The claimant can be provided with a copy of the form from the MIABC website: Making a Claim against a Local Government, fill it out and return it to the member.  If the claim relates to property damage, the claimant should be advised to report the loss as soon as possible to his/her own insurance company, as it is the homeowner’s obligation to mitigate his/her own loss.

Megan Chorlton

Director of Member Services,
Assistant General Counsel

Sherman Chow

Director of Claims